Byron High Year 8 students manning the bake-off stall.
Year 8 students at Byron Bay High School raised $566 from a bake-off to donate to the non-profit organisation, SurfAid, to help relief and community development programs in the Mentawai Islands.
The bake-off was in response to the latest tsunami off Sumatra, which left 15,000 people homeless and in temporary shelters and in need of food assistance, cooking and building supplies and hygiene kits.
Year 8 students at the school have studied, as part of their geography program, the location of the Mentawai Islands in Indonesia, and are aware of the cultural and economic circumstances of the local people living there.
They co-ordinated the fund-raising event by baking cakes at home and raising awareness within the school of SurfAid’s relief efforts, and were encouraged by the support the whole school provided in surpassing their fundraising target.
Students were supported by IGA, which donated soft drink to sell at the school for the day, and the many Year 8 parents who sent cakes to the school to be sold.
source: Byron Shire News
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow