HOT RODDING is like a bug, says Pete Paynter: “Once it gets ya, it’s hard to get it out of ya system.”
The Ocean Shores hot rod enthusiast will be in his element among hundreds of like-minded souls at this weekend’s third annual Back to Brunswick Hot Rod Run.
The event was organised by Mr Paynter and his mate from the Gold Coast, Rod Brewer, and will showcase some of the country’s most impressive hot rods.
Mr Paynter and Mr Brewer have also managed to attract two of the world’s most respected hot rodding experts, Pete Chapouris and Jimmy Shine, from the US Discovery Channel’s TV program, Hard Shine, to be special guests at the meet.
Booking the pair was a coup: “They are the gurus of hot rodding,” said Mr Paynter.
Last year’s run involved more than 350 cars and this year’s event is expected to be even bigger, with enthusiasts coming from as far away as Victoria, Queensland and even Russia to take part.
A hot rod is typically a pre-1948 car, although it can be later, that has been modified to suit the owner’s taste.
Among the visitors in the town yesterday were Chris Dansie and his wife, who have had spent the past week in Brunswick Heads in the lead-up to the big event.
“It’s a nice place to visit for a holiday and you get the added bonus of meeting several hundred like-minded people,” Mr Dansie said.
Mr Dansie said much of the joy of hot rodding came from creating a car that was unique and reflected your personality.
The weekend run will start at Bangalow Showgrounds Saturday morning, wind its way through Byron Bay mid-morning, then continue on to Billinudgel pub for lunch.
Another contingent of cars will travel down from Queensland’s Gold Coast.
Sunday there will be a show and shine of the rods at Banner Park, Brunswick Heads.
It will be followed by a presentation of awards at the pub by master of ceremonies Mark ‘Jacko’ Jackson.
WHERE TO SEE THE HOT RODS
TODAY: A Show and Shine will be held at Banner Park, Brunswick Heads from 9am.
Source: Northern Star
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow