BYRON Bay Friends of the Library, which has campaigned and fundraised for the past 20 years to see a new library built in the area, has welcomed the news that Byron Shire Council has awarded the construction tender to Badge Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd.
To be built at a cost of $3.78 million, the construction company will take possession of the new library site early next month.
“We’re delighted it’s going to happen,” Byron Bay Friends of the Library president Bob Levett said.
“We are excited at the prospect of participating in the many varied and enjoyable activities ahead of us.”
Mayor Jan Barham said there would be a lot of excited and relieved residents.
“After many long years of waiting for a new library after the loss of the previous library associated with the old council chambers in Byron Bay in 1997, this important community project is about to start,” she said.
Cr Barham noted the project would provide a much-needed boost for tradespeople from the Queensland border to Lismore.
“The construction industry has been significantly affected from the economic slowdown,” she said.
“Hopefully the new project will help sustain some of the local tradespeople during what is a difficult time for the industry.”
As part of their tender submission, Badge Constructions indicated they would ensure a large amount of subcontractors were from the region.
The new library will be located on the corner of Lawson and Middleton Sts and will meet a large variety of community needs.
“Along with providing a lifelong learning centre, the building will also feature a space to display and celebrate the talent of artists and craftspeople within the shire in a dedicated exhibition area,” Cr Barham said.
“A designated room for indigenous research and archival material has been included.”
source: Northern Star
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow