FREE TRAINING FOR SCHOOLIES VOLUNTEERS
Schoolies is fast approaching again. This year the Byron Schoolies Safety Response is once again recruiting volunteers for the Schoolies HUB in order to help make the young visitors welcome and ensure that they enjoy a safe celebration. The HUB will be open 24/7 for the 18 days of School Leavers Celebrations from November 18 to December 5 and volunteers will be rostered on for shifts of 4 hours around the clock. Last year nearly 100 local volunteers worked the Schoolies HUB along with assistance from the Red Frogs and also local organisation YWAM (Youth With A Mission). This year the aim is to find another 100 local volunteers who would like to give some of their time to the HUB.
The HUB is a large marquee, supplied by Byron Shire Council, that will be placed in Main Beach Park for the duration of the School Leavers celebrations. Volunteers who sign up before the end of October, will have an opportunity to receive free training including Senior First Aid and Youth Mental Health First Aid. Schoolies HUB Coordinator, Nicqui Yazdi believes the offer of free certificate qualifications to this years volunteers is a great incentive and will also ensure that any young visitors that find themselves in trouble, whether it be a cut foot or a mental health crisis, will have qualified vollies there to help them.
Ms Yazdi said “For many of these young visitors, it will be the first time that they have been away from home and also for many, the first holiday that they have had on their own or with friends. They have chosen to come to Byron Bay because of the relaxed atmosphere that Byron offers. No big parties, such as the Gold Coast, just beautiful beaches and a chilled out vibe.” “We want to make sure that their holiday is a safe and happy one and that they leave Byron with wonderful memories of their end of year 12 celebrations.”
“For the last two years, we had some wonderful young volunteers who were studying courses such as Community Services, who were able to use their volunteering hours and training hours, as part of their work placements. We also had mental health workers, teachers, youth workers, drug and alcohol workers and good old Mums and Dads, who just wanted to help out and be a part of this rather exciting time. Everyone who was a part of last years HUB, had a great time and really enjoyed helping to make this a safe and happy experience for the young visitors.”
“Young people generally make good decisions, but for the inexperienced Schoolies visitors, it can also be a time where they might get into trouble. The more volunteers we have, the safer these young people will be and also the less impact these celebrations will have on the local Byron Community.”
Volunteer registration forms are available from the Youth Activities Centre at 1 Glimore Crescent and all volunteers must fill in these forms, including the ‘Working With Children’s Check – Volunteer Declaration’.
For more information contact Schoolies HUB Coordinator, Nicqui Yazdi on 0402013177 or email email@example.com
You can join the Byron Schoolies Safety Response on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/byronschoolies
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Having Fun With Your Children in Byron Bay
- A Guide to Booking Accommodation in Australia
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah