Big swells are expected this weekend.
LIFEGUARDS are preparing for a “worst-case scenario” this weekend on the Tweed and Gold Coast beaches.
The Bureau of Meteorology has forecasted that a category one cyclone off the east coast of Australia might push a three to four-metre swell onto Tweed and Gold Coast beaches at Christmas.
Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Michelle Berry said the weak system in the Pacific Ocean, Cyclone Fina, was likely to move south south-west before turning east on Saturday.
“This will create a large ocean swell and dangerous beach conditions,” Ms Berry said.
“We do get these conditions often but given the weekend and the timing it is dangerous.”
Ms Berry said the one positive was that temperatures were forecast to be at or below the average.
“We shouldn’t get that real hot Christmas day,” she said.
Northern NSW lifeguard coordinator Scott McCartney said the lifeguards were informed that a big swell was expected for Christmas and Boxing days.
“It’s the opposite of what we want for Christmas Day but we have to go with whatever the weather delivers,” Mr McCartney said.
“It’s also a full moon so we are going to have big tides and a lot of water moving in and out.
“There is a possibility that we will be closing beaches with the big swell.”
Mr McCartney said the lifeguards were prepared for a rough weekend.
Anyone considering heading to the beach this weekend should check conditions before leaving home on www.beachsafe.org.au and talk to lifeguards about any dangers when at the beach.
source: Tweed Daily News online http://www.mydailynews.com.au
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Having Fun With Your Children in Byron Bay
- A Guide to Booking Accommodation in Australia
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah