YACROCKCAFE Opening on March 9th at the Byron Youth Activities Centre – Music-based Drop-in for Teens
Something exciting is about to kick-off for young people in Byron Bay on Friday nights. The YACROCKCAFE is a free weekly music-based drop-in program for high school aged young people on Friday nights at the Byron Youth Activities Centre.
The YACROCKCAFE will commence on Friday March 9th with a special opening night party sponsored by Project U-Turn. Guest artists on the night include awarding winning young band Lifeline, Mitchell Smith (X-Factor), Cecilia Brandolini, Loki Hough and Haven Hough. There will be giveaways from surf and skateboard company, Bone Machine, including a custom made skateboard and t-shirt packs and free pizza from the new Byron Bay Pizza Co. which has recently opened up in Sunrise.
The YACROCKCAFE will be open every Friday night from 5pm til 10pm. Music teachers and mentors will be available in the Loud Room from 5-7pm, followed by jam sessions performance opportunities for young bands and musicians on the YAC stage from 7-10pm. The YAC CAFE will also be open from 6.30-9.30pm, selling affordable, yummy food. We hope to organize special gig nights with special guest artists and music industry specialists.
BUDDI Team Leader and YACROCKCAFE Coordinator, Nicqui Yazdi said “These nights are about giving young people a young-adult-style of entertainment and socialising and encouraging them to get into music and performance.”
“We have received a number of grants to help get it all started, including a Northern Rivers Community Foundation ‘Connecting Communities Grant’, a donation from Byron Shire Council for music equipment and also a Telstra Assistance Fund music instruments pack, which included an electric drum kit, electric and acoustic guitars, a full-sized electric piano and even a violin. BYS are also finalizing a new partnership with SAE – enabling students to do an internship on Friday’s by setting up & managing the technical aspects of the YACROCKCAFE performance space and mentoring young people in certain aspects of music production.
“We will be looking for local young musicians and bands of all styles of music, who would like an opportunity to come and perform on the stage each Friday night. “This is a great opportunity for those up-and-coming young musicians who would like to perform in front of an audience and a wonderful concept for young people to get together and socialize.”
The YACROCKCAFE are also looking for music teachers, mentors and volunteers who would like to donate a few hours every now and then to help make these nights happen. All volunteers will undergo a Working With Childrens’ Check through Byron Youth Service.
The YAC is a drug and alcohol-free youth space, managed by Byron Youth Service. The YACROCKCAFE project will be managed by BUDDI-CDAT in partnership with Byron Youth Service. BUDDI – (Byron Underage Drinking & Drug Initiative – Community Drug Action Team) is a volunteer group that was formed back in 2007 under the NSW Health Community Drug Strategies Program and is auspiced by Byron Youth Service.
For more information on the YACROCKCAFE, or to register to become a volunteer please contact Nicqui Yazdi on 0402013177 or email email@example.com. Byron Youth Service can be contacted on 6685 7777.
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow