Gzi Wisdom sings up a storm in the Byron High Bluesfest Showcase.
With the 2012 BluesFest now less than two weeks away, Byron has seen emerging musicians playing all over town for the last few weeks, in the various heats of the Busking Over Byron Competition. Last weekend at Byron’s Youth Activities Centre, close to 20 young performers were involved in the first ever Under 18′s Grommets Buskers Comp. The three young acts chosen to go through to the finals in the overall Buskers Comp were Byron band Lifeline, local girl Annie Plummer and Tom Dodd from Kingscliff.
This week saw the School’s Bluesfest Showcases kick off, with Byron High hosting theirs on Friday afternoon. Over 20 young performers took to the stage in the Byron High Auditorium, with a range of acts from blues and rap comedy, through to hardcore being represented. The winning performers will be notified this week and will attend the Bluesfest, performing in the School’s Showcase.
One of the judges of the Byron High showcase, Nicqui Yazdi, who runs the new teen music cafe YACROCKCAFE, said that she “was so impressed by the level of talent of young people in this region.” Ms Yazdi said “Byron has always been a place that fosters musical talent in young people, having produced musicians such as internationally acclaimed bands Blue King Brown, hardcore band Parkway Drive and Engine Three Seven, who are currently touring America.”
The finals of the Buskers Over Byron Competition will take place at the Beach Hotel on April 4th. For more details go to the BluesFest website http://www.bluesfest.com.au/
Chelsea & Zep, in the Byron High Bluesfest Showcase.
Byron High students vying for a chance to play at the BluesFest Schools Showcase.
PHOTOS by LILY SMITH
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Having Fun With Your Children in Byron Bay
- A Guide to Booking Accommodation in Australia
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah