Art, music, employment and grant funding for young people’s projects are key themes for this year’s National Youth Week activities in Byron Shire.
National Youth Week is the largest celebration of young people in Australia and this year’s theme isImagine. Create. Inspire.
Council’s youth activity officer Belle Arnold said the Byron Shire Youth Council has been working with staff and community groups to deliver a fantastic line up for Youth Week 2012.
National Youth Week (NYW) 2012 is on from Friday 13 April to Sunday 22 April 2012, with events running all over the country.
The first Byron Shire FREE event will be the Youth Arts Exhibition, Friday 13 April from 6 to 8 pm. The evening will showcase 90 entries from the Youth Arts Competition 2011/12 and will be held at the Byron Shire Council Chambers, Station Street Mullumbimby.
There will be live acoustic music, light refreshments, lucky door prizes and a people’s choice award.
“It will be a wonderful opportunity to come along and support young artists through voting for your favourite piece of art,” Ms Arnold said.
Saturday 14 April River Jam – Youth Music and Circus event at the Sound Shell, River Terrace in Brunswick Heads. This event is a partnership event between Byron Shire Council and the Creative Peoples Collective.
Tuesday 17 April - Youth Employment Forum at the Byron Community Centre from 10 am until 1pm.
Ms Arnold said the objectives of the forum are to discuss and develop meaningful employment opportunities and career pathways for local young people, to promote existing employment opportunities, and to identify potential projects and strategies to create employment projects.
Friday 20 April - Small Change Grants Round opens for 2012. The Small Change Grants are for young people aged 12 – 25 living in the Byron Shire. The grants are for up to $1000 and are to support young people to get an idea for a project or event off the ground.
The grants close on Monday 4 June, at 5pm. For more information contact Belle Arnold on 6626 7225 or Council’s web www.byron.nsw.gov.au.
Friday 20 April – YACROCKCAFE YOUTH WEEK PARTY! @ the YAC
The YACROCKCAFE will celebrate National Youth Week 2012 with a HUGE party!! The theme for Youth Week 2012 is “Imagine. Create. Inspire.”
The YACROCKCAFE Party will have special guest artists, local bands and musicians, food and fun!
The party will kick off at 5pm with acoustic performances under the Amphitheatre Awning, then from 7pm the YAC stage will come alive with music from local young musicians and a very special guest artist!
MC for the night is Byron’s very own Dancin’ Man Thomas Franklin. Young performers booked to play the party include Gabe & Cecilia Brandolini, Reilly Fitzalan, Vanessa & Arna Rogers, Ben Meek & the Paper Navigators, Chelsea June & Zep Hamilton and Loki Hough & Elliott Cooper Brain.
There’ll be lots of yummy food coming out of the YAC Cafe…
And lots of prizes and giveaways too…
This event is set to be a HUGE celebration of the youth of Byron Shire!!
The YACROCKCAFE is a BUDDI & BYS project.
Byron Youth Service also manage the Byron Youth Activities Centre.
For enquiries about the YACROCKCAFE call Nicqui on 0402013177 or BYS on 66857777.
sources: Byron Shire Council & BUDDI-CDAT
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow