Rising up to join a worthy cause can take up a lot of time, money, and effort. However, if you do find one that is close to your heart, then all the sacrifices are nothing compared to the rewards of knowing that you did something for the good of many.
In 2008, breast cancer caused the deaths of 458,503 people, which is 13.7 percent of cancer deaths in women–and that number consistently rises every year. Although efforts have been made to educate women on the risks, signs, and symptoms of the disease, a lot of people remain unaware and are still prone to late diagnosis, which is the main reason for the increasing morbidity rate of this or any type of cancer.
With that said, raising awareness in Byron Bay can be done in many ways. One way that would hit a larger demographic, while at the same time promote fitness in general, is by volunteering to organise a fun run or a charity walk where people of all ages, genders, and statuses can participate in.
There are simple steps you can take when wanting to plan such an event. The first step is to meet with the people who you would think would want to get involved in reaching out to the public in order to further the goals of your campaign. A few you might want to look up are the local government officials and members of the Byron Breast Cancer Support Group, or BBCSG. Aside from having the resources you would later need, these people will surely benefit from your idea.
The next step would be to find sponsors who would financially support this endeavour. Money is crucial for any event, even if it is non-profit or for a cause. You would, for instance, need cash to pay for the necessary permits, marketing, manpower, supplies, and equipment necessary for your run to be a success.
Arrange for local law enforcement and emergency staff to assist in blocking the roads and monitoring the participants as the run progresses. It will probably take a couple meetings to plan out the route, as well as how much manpower is needed and what kind of safety precautions have to be taken.
Since your main goal is to try and promote awareness in your community, you have to market the short marathon so that people will know about it and participate. The best ways to do this is through the newspaper, like weekly publications in your locale, radio stations, the Internet, and word-of-mouth campaigns done by your fellow volunteers.
As difficult and daunting this task may be, women from all over the world, especially those in Byron Bay, would become more aware of a serious issue that they should look out for and address. As for you, you have the satisfaction of knowing you did your part and in some small way–you also made it your own token of appreciation for mothers day.
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow