This July Byron Youth Service is celebrating 25 years as the primary provider of youth services in the Byron Shire. Yay! We figure that’s reason enough to put on a few special events and activities to celebrate and acknowledge that “Young People Matter” in our community.
As many adults would recall, the teenage years are often a time of great change and turbulence for young people. Not only are their bodies and brains rapidly developing, but their social networks and views of the world are forming also. They are making sense of a rapidly changing and often challenging world. They are thinking about their future and their place in the community – what they might like to ‘do’ or ‘be’ as they grow into adulthood. BYS offers a range of programs that support our young people during these years.
This month we have an awesome raffle with prizes donated by fabulous local businesses. We will be holding a fundraising celebration on Thur 5th July at the Youth Activity Centre – where young people from our hospitality course will be preparing and serving delicious food and mocktails, there will be an amazing performance by the youth theatre group BYTE, and we will be talking about our plans to create a new national campaign to reverse youth binge drinking. The night will include a silent auction of more fabulous donations from our local supporters and it should be lots of fun – so come along with some friends! Tickets are $35 pre-paid or $40 at the door.
Look out for us at the markets and around town too – selling raffle tickets, sausages and seafood trays and saying hello ! All the funding we raise will be used to support our outreach programs that help keep our young people safe on the streets of Byron Shire.
For young people there will be some extra fun stuff happening on Friday nights at the YACROCKCAFE during July –with a big gig with 4 bands on the 6th; a special Hardcore birthday party on Friday 13 with four bands; a ‘Funked Up!’ hip hop party on 20th and finishing the month with a special YAC Splendour Party on the 27th!!!! Check it out on facebook www.facebook.com/YACROCKCAFE
Jump on our website for all the latest info and support young people in our community. http://www.bys.org.au
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow