Do you live in the Byron Bay region and want to know more about climate change?
A new centre set up in the region is stepping up its research in the area of climate change.
The Southern Cross University’s Centre for Assessing the Effects of Climate Change on Coastal Communities provides scientific information and advice on the potential effects of regional climate change on local communities and industries.
The centre is also looking at finding sustainable solutions.
Centre director Associate Professor Graham Jones said it is important to find out about the impact of climate change on regional and coastal communities around Australia.
He told the ABC that he hopes the centre can address a lack of local information on the effects of climate change.
“In this region we don’t have a lot of data to make predictive predictions if you like about what might happen to rainfall in the next 20 odd years or so. Now we need that information, and if we haven’t got it, then we need to set up rain monitoring gauges, not only to measure rainfall, but to measure wind stress and wind direction.”
One of the Centre’s activities has been a project with Rous Water to improve the water quality and minimise algal and weed growth in the Emigrant Creek Dam, which supplies water for Ballina and Lennox Head.
The Centre can be contacted on 66203009 or email email@example.com.
Byron Bay Recent News Articles
- A Guide to Booking Accommodation in Australia
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today