Today is Harmony Day in Byron!! Lots of great food and entertainment happening in Railway Park… from 12-9pm… it also sees the last of the Artisans Markets happening for this season… Get along and enjoy the festivities!!
Last year, the inaugural Sample Food Festival welcomed a massive 10,000 visitors through the gates at Bangalow Show Grounds. This year is set to top that! Restaurants and food producers from the Northern Rivers will showcase their culinary delights at this today’s Sample Food Festival in Bangalow. Stall holders will offer $5 and $10 tasting plates. When: Saturday October 6th, 2012 Time: 8am to 8pm Where: Bangalow Show Ground Program- cooking stage 8.30am Brookfarm: Bircher Launch 9.00am Ben O’Donoghue & Donna Harper: Farmers Market Breakfast 10.00am Belinda Jeffery: Book Launch/Signing 10.30am Clayton Donovan & Gavin Hughes: Cooking with Kids 11.30am Garden to Kitchen Show: Cooking with Macadamias 12.15pm Madura Tea: Tea Tasting 12.30pm Steven Snow : ‘Chilli as Anything’ 1.30pm [...]
The Beachside Markets are a 100% make it, bake it, grow it market held on the Byron Bay beachfront near the surf club at main beach. Open from 8 – 4pm this market showcases a diverse and exciting collection of high quality art, sculpture, ceramics, glass, home wares, fashion, craft, toys, clothing and music created by local artists and designers as well as an array of services offered by our health and wellbeing practitioners. The focus and emphasis of the Beachside Market is on authenticity and fosters both originality and sustainability. Its conception echoes the worldwide popularity and growing demand for direct-from-the-artist-to- you handmade, high quality and affordable art and design. This Artisan Market provides an unparalleled opportunity for artists, [...]
Max McPherson (14), of Kingscliff, Merryn Anderson and Dianne Styling, of Sydney and Molly McPherson (10) got their hands dirty to save the Byron Shire Markets. WHEN Suzie Mylecharane started her clothing business 32 years ago it was the local craft markets that were her business training ground. Starting with just two clothes racks and learning the ropes at each monthly Byron Community Market, the Myocum designer has built up her business, Ku Clothing, to the point where she wholesales around Australia. Ms Mylecharane believes the supportive market culture that gave her such a head start is under threat with a new Byron Shire Council draft market policy and tender process currently on display. The draft policy will potentially allow [...]
A Tex and good day out in Federal THE community at Federal will party today and tonight to raise funds to buy their local church. The Federal Park Party has been held for nine years as a celebration of arts, music and community in the town. This year the park party will be followed by an all-ages after-party at the Federal Hall from 7pm to try to raise funds to buy a disused Anglican church. The after-party will feature renowned Australian rocker Tex Perkins, folk funk band Mama La La, Irish singer-songwriter Mick McHugh, DJ Pob and Indie songwriter Sye McRitchie. Kicking off at noon, the free park party will include a local artisans market, skate clinic, pirate show, jumping [...]
Swedish tourists Emma Lund and My Borggren, both aged 20, having fun under the sun while on holiday in Byron Bay. ALMOST 90% of Byron shire’s tourists are happy with their holiday experience, despite growing concerns about parking, traffic, cleanliness of the public toilets and the state of the roads. A new survey released this week – the Byron Shire Visitor Profile and Satisfaction report – was under- taken by Tourism Research Australia in partnership with Byron Shire Council and Destination NSW. Of the tourists surveyed, 87% said they were “satisfied” with their experience, with 44% “very satisfied”. But councillor Basil Cameron, chairman of the council’s Tourism Advisory Committee, admitted there was “plenty of room for improvement”. “The results showed [...]
This week Byron United launch their Byron Naturally campaign unveiling the one ‘face’ that has been chosen to represent our entire region. I’ve watched with interest as women with faces (those too off their face were immediately disqualified; can’t have the face of Byron pulling on a bong) have competed not to be the face of a new generation but a new generalisation. This is the one face that is supposed to speak to the values and diversity of our entire community. Tolkien could have been working for Tourism NSW, because it would appear it’s his strategy that’s been employed to haul in fresh tourist meat. ‘In the Land of Byron Bay, where the shadows lie. One face to rule them all, one face to fi nd them, one face to [...]
Byron Bay’s peak business lobby group Byron United and the Byron Bay Community Association are at loggerheads over the association’s push to establish asecond permanent monthly market in the town. BYRON BAY’S peak business group, Byron United, and the Byron Bay Community Association are facing off over plans to make the trial second Byron Bay monthly market a permanent fixture. Byron United says a permanent second market “is not acceptable” to its members, while the community association, which manages the market, says it is “disappointed” with Byron United’s stance. A trial second monthly market has been held at the Butler Street Reserve during summer, with the trial due to end after the March 20 market. Byron United president Sevegne Newton [...]
Revellers celebrate in the streets of Byron bay on New Year’s Eve 2003 IT’S the better part of 20 years since then Constable Gary Kennedy declared, as a largely drunk but happy swarm of 5000 revellers dancing through his town, Byron Bay had become a ‘magnet’ for people celebrating New Year’s Eve. And its fairly unlikely Const Kennedy had any sense that he was speaking prophecy. The date had just ticked into January 1, 1992, when Const Kennedy made the comment to Byron journalist Gary Chigwidden. The following year, the number of revellers doubled to 10,000 and the numbers kept right on growing, peaking in 2002 at 40,000. At the same time, numbers down the coast have also boomed. Celebrations [...]
First Established in 1982 as a Motorcycle Hire and Mechanical workshop in Jonson St, Byron Bay, has become well known throughout the region, expanding into new and used motorcycle, ATV and scooter sales. The business has specialised workshop facilities equipped to service most makes and models, placing emphasis on quality repairs and servicing of the local market. Byron motorcycle centre is an authorised inspection Station, issuing in house Registration Plates for the RTA, and provides insurance and finance products. Goto byron bay byron motorcycle centre >>
Byron Bay has always been one of the hottest places for music festivals in Australia, but there are rumours that there could be a shift in venue. A consortium of 15 people associated with Byron Bay’s Splendour in the Grass music festival have bought a huge parcel of land, with natural amphitheatre-like areas. The land stretches across both sides of Jones Road in the north of Byron Shire towards Wooyung Road on the border of Tweed Shire. Reports say that Council and real estate officials have stated that the site is the ideal venue for most of Byron’s music gigs, including the annual Blues and Roots festival. The Blues and Roots Festival is on from the 6th to the 9th [...]
Do you live in the Byron Bay region and want to know more about climate change? A new centre set up in the region is stepping up its research in the area of climate change. The Southern Cross University’s Centre for Assessing the Effects of Climate Change on Coastal Communities provides scientific information and advice on the potential effects of regional climate change on local communities and industries. The centre is also looking at finding sustainable solutions. Centre director Associate Professor Graham Jones said it is important to find out about the impact of climate change on regional and coastal communities around Australia. He told the ABC that he hopes the centre can address a lack of local information on [...]
A festival that promises to bring out the kid in all of us is fast approaching – the Brunswick Heads Kites and Bikes Festival. In its fifth year, the popular festival is continuing to grow, with up to 6,000 people expected to attend on Sunday, November 5, according to ABC North Coast . For kite lovers, this festival is a winner, with some of the world’s biggest kites set to make an appearance, including Romeo, a whopping 27 metre octopus kite. Now that has to be seen! And for bike lovers, the bike program has doubled in size from last year and riders are invited to take part in a number of longer rides. Make sure you bring your kite [...]
Byron Bay local Sara Tindley – a talented singer/songwriter – has been recognised, scoring a win in the Album of the Year Category at the Dolphin Awards in Byron Bay on October 10. The 2002 album “Five Days” is proving to be a popular hit. Her second album “Lucky The Sun” was launched this month in Byron Bay. She told Australian Music Online that her aim was to produce a soulful, honest record. “I guess I wanted to capture a sense of place with this album. I wanted it to somehow reflect the Australian landscape and its people.” And if you are a struggling Byron Bay musician, you may want to heed Sara’s advice: “Just be true to your own [...]
Byron Bay Coffee Company. Roasted in Newrybar, 15 minutes from Byron Bay, Australia. A family owned and operated business specialise in Roasting and Blending Coffee! – It’s a great blend, distributed around the country. Another great byron bay product! “We are dedicated to providing you with the finest, full flavoured range of coffee. We roast daily to ensure that our simple criteria of quality beans, meticulous roasting, expert blending, freshness and consistency is maintained, to provide the most delicious cup of coffee you have ever tasted…….every time.” Byron Bay Coffee Company. Established in 1989, the Byron Bay Coffee Company is a family business dedicated to service, professionalism and producing only the finest quality coffee.
David Helfgott Shines On Sunset – piano recital – As part of The Buttery’s series of acoustic concerts and recitals to raise funds to Build a New Buttery: The Buttery has pleasure in giving you first option to purchase tickets to this very special event ‘David Helfgott Shines On Sunset piano recital’ 6pm Saturday November 25th Labyrinth Studios, 41 Beachcomber Drive, Byron Bay supported by composer and pianist Yantra de Vilder. Picnic seating in garden BYO picnic rug, cushions, Picnic hamper and refreshments to enjoy this very special event Tickets $55/$50 Limited to 80 tickets only for sale Tickets can be purchased on line http://www.buttery.org.aufrom 1st November, for phone bookings Dee on 02 6687 1623
Want to check out the latest talent the Northern Rivers region is producing? Head to Exit 06 – a festival of the best music, arts and media works by Southern Cross University students. The month-long festival of performances and exhibitions is by final-year students in the School of Arts and Social Sciences, who are completing Contemporary Music, Visual Arts, and Media degrees. Art on display will include magazine and documentary production, music CDs and musical performances, painting, sculpture, film, writing, animation and digital art. More than 100 students will be presenting a variety of work. For art lovers, collectors and potential students, the Exit 06 visual arts exhibition, in the University’s Visual Arts Building, will be a must to visit. [...]
Byron Bay may soon be home to a new “super” lobby group. Big interest has been shown in the amalgamation, with fifty people attending a two-day workshop last weekend. The Byron Chamber of Commerce, the Byron Business Group and Tourism Byron are expected to be amalgamated into one organisation, called Byron United, in November, according to the Byron Shire News. Members have endorsed a set of core values which will be fundamental to the operation of Byron United. The amalgamation has come about to enable the business community and the community at large to prepare for the future. One of the focuses of the lobby group will be preserving and nurturing the natural environment in harmony with the built environment. [...]
Like food? Then make sure you keep this Sunday – October 15 – free. Because you’ll be able to sample the finest food in the region thanks to the Taste of Byron Carnival. The best foods from most of the restaurants in the Byron Shire region will be out on show, with a number of new innovations to add to the atmosphere. One of the highlights of the festival is an amazing chocolate bath. The family-friendly event is being held along the beachfront at Byron Bay. Events for kids include face painting, crafts, roving characters, games and many other activities. For the adults, there is also an all ages trapeze, some great bands, comedy, cooking demonstrations, fashion shows and competitions. [...]
Women and children are invited to take to the streets and join a rally to Reclaim the Night on Friday October 27 in Byron Bay. Reclaim the Night is an international annual event where women work together to uphold women’s rights to a life without fear of violence, harassment and sexual assault. The event began in Rome in 1976, in response to alarming increases in reports of sexual assault. Around 10,000 women and children reportedly marched through the centre of the city. The first march took place in Australia in 1978. The Byron Shire rally will begin in Apex park from 6pm. Contact Mary Willis on 02 66 202 132. The main focus of Reclaim the Night is for women [...]
Interested in the concept of turning farm-based and nature tourism proposals into working businesses? Southern Cross University and the Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre are set to launch a major initiative for the first time in Australia. The project begins this month, with Byron Shire Council to host a Tourism on your Property Field Day. This will be held on a local working agri-tourism property, on Monday, October 23. Each year, the Northern Rivers attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists seeking a diverse range of tourism experiences. For more information about the program contact Rose Wright, Australian Regional Tourism Research Centre on 0427 232 246 or email email@example.com or visit www.regionaltourism.com.au.
Byron Bay is well-known for its eclectic mix of people – with people from all walks of life drawn to the region to make up a colourful community. And just up the road from Byron, Lismore is home to one of a very colourful character in Australian society – the fashion designer who inspired the much-loved movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Michael Gates told ABC North Coast that the movie was based on him and the drag queen show he worked with in Sydney. “I’m the Guy Pearce character, the one with the sculpted wig. I was always the prima donna and a bitch as well.” Michael continues to be involved with Priscilla, the stage musical. [...]
Naomi in detox at Suffolk Park, say reports CONTROVERSIAL supermodel Naomi Campbell has caused an international frenzy by missing a court appearance to reportedly detox in Byron Bay. Metropolitan media allege the beauty recently visited Suffolk Park to hide away at Michael Goldberg’s wellness compound, The Sanctuary, which costs upwards of $12,000 for a one-week stay. Campbell, who is accused of assaulting her maid with a mobile phone, failed to appear in a Manhattan court earlier this month. Despite the no-show a warrant was not issued for Campbell’s arrest because her lawyer and the prosecutor reached an agreement to postpone her appearance until November 15 By SAMANTHA TURNBULL
Congratulations go out to Pete Murray, who married his long-time love in typically laid-back fashion yesterday. Pete Murray and his bride Amanda Coutts were surrounded by about 70 people in a hillside church at Eureka. In typical Byron Bay fashion, the pair left the ceremony in a battered Kombi van. Pete hired security guards to ward off those paparazzi trying to snare some unauthorised shots. Local boy Murray’s musical genius has earned him accolades across the world
Markets in the Northern Rivers Area Ballina Market Entertainment Area Canal Road Ballina Ph/Fax: (02) 6672 2874 Bruce Williams Art and craft stalls, local home grown produce and a variety of activities. Market held on 3rd Sun of month. Bangalow Market Showgrounds Bangalow NSW 2479 Ph: (02) 6687 1911 Stalls, arts & crafts & performances. 4th Sun of month. Brunswick Heads Riverside Markets Memorial Park Brunswick Heads NSW 2483 Ph: (02) 6684 4437 Gordon Wright Riverside Markets at Memorial Park held from 7.30am to 3.00pm on the first Sat each month. Easter Market held on Easter. Annual Twilight Market held from 4pm to 9pm on the last Wed before Christmas. Byron Bay Community Market Byron Bay Community Market, Butler Street [...]
Read more articles about Byron Bay and markets
- Having Fun With Your Children in Byron Bay
- A Guide to Booking Accommodation in Australia
- Nimbin Mardi Grass 20th Anniversary May 4 & 5
- Byron Schoolies HUB has funding removed by Byron Council
- Useful Information When Travelling to the South Pacific
- Youth Week Youth Forum - Thursday night at the YAC - "Things are getting dire * have your say about the Shire"
- BOOMERANG Festival for Byron in October 2013
- Fusing Work and Play on Your Business Travel
- The Bay Rollers 'Skate Of Origin' in Byron Tonight
- Harmony Day in Byron Bay Today
- Byron Bay International Film Festival Opens this Friday
- Movie Under The Plastic Stars - at the YAC today
- The Politics Of Pleasure - a new book by former Byron man Mark Russell
- V Day in Byron Bay - One Billion Rising - Feb 14
- Flickerfest continues today and tomorrow - program
- Public Forum in Byron Tonight - get along and have your say
- Byron Arts Classic Opening Tonight at Community Centre
- Which Way Festival this Sat at Byron YAC - 20 Bands in 12 hours!
- Two Fireworks Displays for New Year's Eve in Byron Bay
- Fun Outdoor Activities to Do in Byron Bay
- Paul Simon and Rufus Wainwright to play 2013 BluesFest
- Cringe The Binge Kicks Off With Hardcore Party at YACROCKCAFE Tonight
- AMA URGES YOUNG PEOPLE TO PLAY IT SAFE AT SCHOOLIES
- Cringe The Binge For The National Weekend Of Action & Help Youth
- Third Artist Announcement Bluesfest 2013- It’s A Bluesfest Dream Come True
- Byron Filmmaker David Bradbury Arrested Investigating Indian Nuclear Sector
- Cringe The Binge National Weekend of Action - Byron Youth Service Initiative
- Reclaim The Night Events For Young Women In Byron Bay
- Sunday is Byron Breast Cancer Awareness Day
- Rock The Gate Against CSG Today In Murwillumbah
- Bunjala Day at Kulchajam in Byron Today
- Sample Food Festival Today In Bangalow
- Treehouse On Belongil To Reopen By Xmas
- Raw Elementz Holiday Workshops in Byron Thursday
- Byron Beachside Markets Today!
- Discovering the Various Water Sports That Byron Bay Offers
- BluesFest 2013 First Line-Up Announced
- 2012 Schoolies HUB Sign-On and Reunion This Week
- PCYC Take Over New Byron Sports Complex
- WOW Film Festival in Byron This Weekend - World Of Women's Cinema
- Teen Events at Byrons YACROCKCAFE Every Friday Night
- David Bradbury Classic Doco Battle For Byron Screens Friday Night
- Byron Bay Writers Festival Starts TODAY
- FAQs for Splendour In The Grass this Weekend
- Award Winning Documentary 'I Am Eleven' Special Screening Sunday
- Byron Bay Bridal Showcase this Friday and Saturday at Ewingsdale Hall
- Weekly Gigs For Young Musicians at Byrons YACROCKCAFE
- Uke Mullum Turns One Year Old This Week
- Bands and Wild Food Feast Today at the Double Basement
- Byron Council Events Policy Squashed - Victory For BluesFest
- Young People Matter Month Byron Youth Service Fundraiser at the YAC Tomorrow
- URANIUM BOOM NUCLEAR DOOM Fundraiser to send Dr Helen Caldicott to Roxby Downs - The Lizards Revenge 5day Festival
- RiverJam at the Brunswick Sound Shell Today
- NAIDOC Week Celebrations Next Week in Byron
- SlutWalk and SlutFest TODAY in Byron Bay
- Human Rights Film Festival Starts in Byron Tonight
- Have You Seen Reuben Scown? Police Appeal For Help.
- Byron Bay Bridal Showcase - an interview with creator Jennifer Gifford
- Worldwide Movement SlutWalk Happening in Byron in June
- VIBADELIX is back in the Bay this Saturday!
- Bangalow Billycart Derby This Weekend - All You Need To Know
- Young Byron Performers Ready To Stand Centre Front In Melbourne
- Aria Viva Perform On Mothers Day at the Byron Community Centre
- Arj Barker At The Byron Community Centre This Weekend
- Mardi Grass This Weekend in Nimbin
- YACROCKCAFE UKE NIGHT TONIGHT @ THE YAC
- Bay Rollers Derby Girls Finally Have A Home In Byron
- Morganics and Beats in the Bay at the Byron YAC Today
- CrankFest Xtreme is on in Evans Head TODAY
- Helping Raise Awareness for Breast Cancer in Byron Bay
- Kevin Rudd hears how Byron plans to Cringe The Binge
- Uke Mullum has Joel Salom and Sarah Grace Buckley this Week!
- YOUTH WEEK PARTY AT THE BYRON YAC TONIGHT!!
- Splendid Line-Up Announced for Splendour In The Grass
- Zombatland comes to Lismore City Hall on Saturday!
- YACROCKCAFE @ THE YAC - Youth Week Party on April 20
- Youth Week In Byron Shire - a celebration of our young people
- Youth Week Employment Forum in Byron Bay
- Tweed Battle of the Bands This Weekend!
- Bluesfest Busking Comp Finals this Wednesday!